You can’t turn on the news without hearing the newest instance or iteration of transgenderism in our society. It has become the focal issue in our current moral climate. And while the easy answer is to condemn it, we must be ready with clear responses as to why, from the Bible, we believe it is wrong. In other words, we should form our perspective or Christian worldview from God’s Word thereby insuring that we are representing Him (not our own opinions) to our lost world.
God created us as He intended.
Psalm 100:3—Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
In Genesis 1:27, it states that “God created man in his own image.” This means that mankind was created to take on the form or likeness of God. Then it says that he divided them into genders: “male and female created he them.”
But does God expect us to embrace our gender as given at birth?
Or do we have the latitude to re-identify as we see fit? Let us look at Dueteronomy 22:5. While we are not under the Mosaic Law (it’s penalties were laid on our Saviour), it informs us of the character of God. And let us be reminded, He does not change (Micah 3:6).
In this fifth verse of Deuteronomy twenty-two it says that women who attempt to present themselves as men and men who try present themselves as women are something that God detests. Therefore, if we do not embrace our gender as God assigned it at birth, God is not pleased. We can’t govern what our world does, but we should know what God thinks about it.
Really this is not a gender issue; it is a God issue.
Does God have the right to tell us who we are? As humans we often venture into areas reserved for God. Through abortion and euthanasia, we have played God with human life. We think that we have the right to decide who live and who dies. But we have overstepped: acting as God is blasphemy. Joseph had it right.
Genesis 50:19—And Joseph said unto them, Fear not: for am I in the place of God?
We rationalize this thinking with “modern science.”
It’s a fetus, not a baby. It’s poor quality of life, not ending a life early. It is alcoholism (a disease), not drunkeness (a sinful habit). Interestingly, it is the only disease which we sell in every store and advertise in every media outlet. We have become so “scientific,” that we no longer see the world for what it is. Romans 1:22 says it this way, “Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.”
This distorted worldview is rooted in resisting God’s athority in our lives—”His eternal power and Godhead.” (Romans 1:20) Even though we know Who God is, we “glorify Him not as God.” (Romans 1:21) We won’t let Him be God. The result: “vain imaginations” or trumped up realities and “darkened hearts,” an anything-goes culture. We understand why secular culture would espouse those beliefs. Their goal is to rid our society of belief in God let alone subscribing to His authority.
But why would Christians buy into this worldview?
Those who claim God as their Father and Jesus as their Lord would surely see it differently. Right? We must be careful to get our perspective of modern events and issues from His Word, not from culture. I am even speaking of both liberal and conservative political viewpoints. While we disagree with liberal ideology about transgenderism, we must also measure conservatives against Scripture. They should not be motivating our talking points, God’s Word should. Paul commended the Berean Christians for checking him out according to Scripture.
Acts 17:11—These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
At this writing, the tragedy of the Orlando night club shooting is fresh on our minds. A man armed with the hatred of his religion and the anger of its God, Allah, took the lives of 49 human beings. As Christians we are to be armed with the good news of Jesus Christ and love of our God, Jehovah. We don’t have to affirm the transgender lifestyle, nor do we have to punish them. Then, WE are standing in God’s place. Once again, we have overstepped.
If we check Scripture, we find that transgenderism is biologically, morally, and medically wrong.
- Biologically, God assigns gender at birth. Even the hospitals have no trouble putting M or F on birth certificates. This is the way God made us and intends for us to embrace it. Attraction to the same gender through homosexuality is not something that biologically can properly be fulfilled. We were not made that way. Even surgeries to reassign gender cannot solve that problem. They give maleness or femaleness, but they don’t change someone’s DNA or give them a truly changed body. It is going “against nature.” (Romans 1:26)
- Morally, changing what God has decreed is sinful—against God’s plan. Fighting against God is a bad idea. Though our culture wants to seculaize society, we Christians are still supposed to live our lives by God’s moral code found in the Bible. This does not mean that we are to be hateful towards those that live in transgenderism. That too would break God’s moral code. We are supposed to love them with the Gospel introducing them to God through a relationship with Jesus Christ. Then, God will help them be what He created them to be.
- Medically, transgenderism is dangerous. The Bible is not a book of medicine, but a book of spiritual truth. Where it has commented on medicine (i.e. “the life of the flesh is in the blood” Leviticus 17:11), it has been centuries, even millennia, ahead of its time. Therefore, if God says something is wrong, we also know that it is not good for us. Eventually, honest medical science bears that out. Puberty blockers for teens and the introduction of opposing gender hormones (testosterone for girls, estrogen for boys) have been proven to be disastrous. While a society with an agenda will not acknowledge it, trying to reshape the human body to match a mental conception of itself is both physically* and mentally* injurious. (*See article links at bottom of article.)
Christ promises eternal life in heaven and abundant life here on earth! (John 10:10)
Therefore, following God’s design brings fulfillment and joy. Fighting his plan brings emptiness and frustration. If you are a Christian, share Christ’s eternal, abundant life. If you don’t know Christ as Saviour, will you come to Him?
John 5:39-40—Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
- American College of Pediatricians says “Gender Ideology Harms Children” http://www.acpeds.org/the-college-speaks/position-statements/gender-ideology-harms-children
- Former Psychiatrist-in-Chief of John Hopkins University tells why they stopped doing gender reassignment surgery… http://cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/johns-hopkins-psychiatrist-transgendered-men-dont-become-women-they-become